Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Pacific - Pt 7

Today I watched part 7 of 'The Pacific', a 10-part mini-series about the USMC and their struggle through the Pacific theatre of the Second World War.

I've watched many, many war movies from new to old. But something about that one hour episode hit me really hard. Never in the space of one hour has a war movie made me feel so bitter. The horrific reality of the war was shown and not only did it touch my heart but it shed me a few tears. The personal side of the episode showed innocent, young men changing into monsters, killing, murdering, they were beasts of hell, and at the same time they had no choice otherwise it would have been their corpse lying dead on the floor instead of the enemies. I witnessed just a glimpse of what the men in that war witnessed, the changing effect on their personalities, the terrain they conquered, the fear of death, but more importantly, the fear of life. 'Every man here is scared, if they're not, they're either lying or dead'.

I faintly remember a quote from the first episode that grasped on to me. I remember when the young kid was asking permission from his father to participate in the war, the kid continually told the father not to worry and that he will one day come home. The father said (atleast my version from what I remember) 'Son, your death isn't what I worry about, what I am so concerned of is that, the day you come back from that war, when I look into your eyes, you won't hold the same love and life you once held, and that, will hurt me the most'.

I guess episode 7 helped me understand more of what I already tried to. I dont know how to put this into words but it was just so emotional, and yet it was the total opposite.

I guess we'll never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment